Monday, January 3, 2011

Mail Bag

I was asked by a dear family friend to make a mail bag for her father-in-law. He is in a nursing home and she wanted a bag for his door to serve the function of collecting mail, but also to triple as a bit of decoration and also a name plate.


I used the tutorial in One Yard Wonders. I made a slight modification in size because I didn't have quite enough fabric to use the authors measurements (I think the shape was cut 10.5 x 13" and I can't remember what I did for the hang loops). The fabric is a woven Nova Scotia tartan (Carl's favourite colour is blue) and it is lined with a pale yellow cotton. I used a simple block letter embroidery for the name, again on yellow cotton, and love how it turned out. I added a little Velcro to the middle of the bag to hold it closed when it is empty, because when it hung open it was a little difficult to read the name.


I'm really happy with how this turned out and will be making a few more projects from this book soon - so I promise to share when they are finished.

What do you think? Have you made anything from this book? Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your comment made my day! Love the tartan and can't wait to see what else you make from this book. I've been so curious about it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply in the comments section unless you leave me an email address and ask me to reply that way.