Tuesday, February 1, 2011

WIP Month Update :: Quilted Table Runner

Did you do it? Did you finish up any of your WIPs (works in progress?). I think that I'm going to officially name February as WIP Month over here at Hands and Home. I will check in every week or so with an update on the state of that horrendous work in progress table that I showed you last week. At the end of the month I'll do a big round up post to see just how well I did.


Here is my first finished WIP: The quilted table runner that I planned to start years ago is finally finished and will be making its way to its new home shortly.

This was a super simple pieced table runner, which I machine quilted and hand bound. I had so much fun making this that I think I will make a few more. Usually I do straight line quilting for table runners but I decided to stipple this one. Now, I do not profess to be an expert stippler, in fact this is the first time that I have really stippled anything and I know that I have some issues with tension to work out. I tried to make it as fluid as possible with as few sharp edges as possible. It is by no means perfect, but you know what I discovered? I love to practice!


A note about binding. I think a big reason whyI have so many unfinished projects around here is that I absolutely dread sewing bindings on. I know that a quick fix would be to machine stitch them, but personally I much prefer the look of a hand sewn binding (its those invisible stitches!). Its funny because as I sit down to do the hand sewing I always find myself enjoying this slower, calmer rhythm that is missing so often in our every day family life. Its just a little bit of "all-me" time, and so very relaxing and reinforcing of the fact that I must look for a little more of this calm in our days.



I love to hear from you so please leave a comment. And if you have been working on your WIPs please leave a link to your WIP blog post in the comments section!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply in the comments section unless you leave me an email address and ask me to reply that way.