Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Its been too long

I have been dancing ever since I could walk but I haven't been in the studio for about 7 years. Tonight I am going to take class for the first time since I was 18, and decided it was time to dust off my old dance bag. I have carried this bag around with me to 5 different homes (we moved every year in university) and in each home it has always had a special place tucked just inside my closet door patiently waiting to be brought to life again.


I tried on my old shoes tonight and they were a bit snug (I blame this on the babies) and was surprised when the second pair I tried fit like a glove. I checked inside to see what the make was and realized they weren't my shoes. I must have grabbed the wrong shoes at my last show but it was a nice feeling to look inside and see Jenna's name written there. It was almost as if the time and distance had done nothing to separate us. When I look at these old shoes each scuff, tare, and hole reminds me of a class, dance, show, fall, or friend. My dance family has been a constant in my life ever since I was 4 years old and the same holds true today. Even though we haven't taken class together in years there is still a bond between us that cannot be broken. We are going to take class together for the first time in 7 years and I am so excited to see every one. Over the years we have remained in contact on an individual basis but nothing like what happens when we are in a studio together.

**Edited to add: Ouch... my body feels as beaten up as my old shoes look. Remind me not to wait 7 years before taking class again - it just might kill me! I am going to go wither in pain until the girls wake up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply in the comments section unless you leave me an email address and ask me to reply that way.