Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pure Joy


My 52 books post from Monday was a scheduled post - instead of writing it at 9:30 am I was having a baby... well - had a baby. I woke up at 5am with Nick, annoyed by the Braxton Hicks contractions that I'd been having for a few weeks and decided to start reading Twilight. By about 6am I couldn't read through the contractions so I made a call to mom to come over for Baby C when she woke up and then called the midwives. They thought it sounded like pre-labour and we left it that if they got any stronger or closer together I would call back. By 7:15 my contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart and I figured that I should have Nick come home from work and the midwives come to the house. The only snag in the plans was that we were having a sudden freak blizzard (after weeks of sunshine and warm weather) and it took everyone a really long time to get here (thank goodness my mom was here with me).


Nick got in the door about 8:15 and at this point I was in transition but didn't know it yet. About 5 minutes later I looked at Nick and said "the baby is coming... NOW... mom better call the midwives cell." My poor midwife was driving like a maniac going through red lights, honking her horn at everyone on the road trying to get here in time for the delivery. Unfortunately - she didn't make it. Nick delivered the baby, unwrapped the cord from around her neck and passed her to me to get her breathing. A few minutes later our midwife arrived and it was only then that we thought to check to see if we had a boy or a girl. We were elated with the arrival of our little Ladybug, and still can't wipe the smiles off our faces that we did this together, in our home. What a perfect birth (well maybe it would have been a little more perfect if the midwives were here... less stressful for sure!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply in the comments section unless you leave me an email address and ask me to reply that way.