Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Holiday Traditions Exchange

This year I participated in Meg's Holiday Traditions Exchange and I was really excited to be able to participate - last year I missed the sign up deadline. The idea behind the exchange is to send your partner one handmade holiday decoration, your favourite holiday recipe and a "tutorial" describing your favourite holiday tradition. It is so fun to find out how others celebrate the holidays. I was surprised that my traditions and those of my partner were quite similar! This is what I received, a beautiful crocheted snowflake garland and a recipe for some yummy Magic in the Middle cookies! (I can't wait to bake these)


This is the package that I sent off to my partner a few weeks back:

Included were 2 handmade potholders, some Christmas recipes and a letter describing my families favourite holiday traditions. I'll share the recipes:



Ginger Snaps
¾ cup butter 4 cups flour
¾ cup shortening 2 tspn. Baking soda
2 cups white sugar 2 tspn. Cinnamon
2 eggs 2 tspn. Ginger
½ cup molasses 2 tspn. Cloves
Cream together all ingredients on left side first then slowly add in flower and spices. Mix well. Cool in refrigerator about 1 hours. Roll into balls and dip in sugar. Do not press with a fork. Bake a t 350 for 10 min.


Freezer Cookies
2 tspn. Vanilla 2 cups white sugar
½ cup butter 5 tbspn. Coco
½ cup milk sprinkle of salt
3 cups oatmeal 1 cup coconut
Bring ingredients to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 3 cups oatmeal and 1 cup coconut. Cool slightly then drop onto wax or parchment paper. Let stand for 5 minutes, the freeze.

Oatmeal Cookies
¾ cup butter softened 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar ¾ tspn. Baking soda
½ cup white sugar 1 tspn. Cinnamon
1 egg 3 cups Oatmeal
2 tbspn. Water 1 ½ cups raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
2 tspn. vanilla
Beat the first 6 ingredients with mixer until creamy. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Drop dough by tablespoon onto greased baking sheets. Press flat for crispy cookies or leave mounded for chewy.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden (check after 8 minutes).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment and I will reply in the comments section unless you leave me an email address and ask me to reply that way.